What To Bring

When you come into a tax preparation site you will be greeted and asked to fill out a IRS Form  13614-C Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet.  If you wish you can download a copy HERE.  Please fill in pages 1 through 3 to the best of your ability, this will save time and you won't feel pressured as you fill out the form.  Do not fill in anything on page 4, this is for the certified tax prepares.  

You can ask question or even wait to fill out the Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet when you come into the tax preparation site.

  • REQUIRED Social Security cards or other "official SSA" documentation for yourself and all dependents
  • If you want direct deposit for a refund, you MUST show a check with your name or other documentation from the financial institution as proof of account ... sorry, debit cards, credit cards, other bank forms are not acceptable.
  • Income Examples:
    • You must bring in all of the income forms from employers, banks, and other institutions
    • W-2 from each employer
    • Unemployment compensation statements
    • SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
    • 1099 forms reporting interest (1099-INT) dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
    • 1099-R forms if you received a pension or annuity, especially if you had a portion withheld for income tax purposes
    • 1099-Misc form showing any miscellaneous income
    • 1099-G State tax refunds
  • Payment Examples
    • Forms or canceled checks for federal and state income taxes paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments)
    • Form 1098-T from a college or university for college expenses for you and your dependents
    • IRA Contribution information
    • Deductions --- taxpayers choose either a standard deduction or itemized deductions. If itemizing deductions would be best for you, then you will need to bring the following information:
      • 1098 forms showing any home mortgage interest
      • Receipts or canceled checks for medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), receipts for prescription medicines, bills for home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities.
      • Receipts for contributions to charity
      • Receipts or canceled checks for all tax income and property taxes you paid, as well as records of tax refunds 
    • Credits
      • Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, or Social Security number).
      • Receipts, canceled checks or 1099 forms related to continuing education (beyond high school)
    • Nebraska Income Tax
      • Amount of purchases where sales and use tax was not paid on purchases delivered into Nebraska from out-of-statemail order, or Internet sellers.
    • Iowa Non-residence Income Tax
      • Form W2-G gambling winnings and receipts for gambling losses 
    • A copy of your previous year’s returns (Federal and NE)

    From HealthCare.gov: How health coverage affects your 2014 federal income tax return

    posted Jan 21, 2015, 5:50 PM by Wayne Culp

    What health insurance information does a taxpayer need to bring this year to support tax preparation?

    posted Dec 4, 2014, 6:49 PM by Wayne Culp

    1. Health insurance coverage information for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents.
    2. If taxpayer doesn’t have full-year coverage, information on monthly coverage.
    3. If taxpayer purchased health insurance through the Marketplace/Exchange, Form 1095-A. S/he should receive this form by January 31.
    4. Any health care exemptions received from the IRS or the Marketplace/Exchange.
    5. All information needed to complete returns for taxpayer, spouse and for each dependent that has a filing requirement.

    For more information about the Marketplace/Exchange, visit HealthCare.gov.
    For more information on the Affordable Care Act, go to irs.gov/aca.

    Managing Your Tax Records After You Have Filed

    posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:29 PM by Wayne Culp   [ updated Dec 4, 2014, 7:07 PM ]

    Managing Your Tax Records After You Have Filed

    Keeping good records after you file your taxes is a good idea, as they will help you with documentation and substantiation if the IRS selects your return for an audit. Here are five tips from the IRS about keeping good records.

    1. Normally, tax records should be kept for three years.

    2. Some documents — such as records relating to a home purchase or sale, stock transactions, IRA and business or rental property — should be kept longer.

    3. In most cases, the IRS does not require you to keep records in any special manner. Generally speaking, however, you should keep any and all documents that may have an impact on your federal tax return.

    4. Records you should keep include bills, credit card and other receipts, invoices, mileage logs, canceled, imaged or substitute checks, proofs of payment, and any other records to support deductions or credits you claim on your return.

    5. or more information on what kinds of records to keep, see IRS Publication 552, Recordkeeping for Individuals, which is available on the IRS website at www.irs.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).


    Publication 552, Recordkeeping for Individuals (PDF 61K)

    1-3 of 3